There are so many gluten free pizza dough options now (box mixes, frozen, home made recipes etc.), this pizza dough though is one of a kind.
A good friend of ours used to make cauliflower mash (instead of mashed potatoes) and I thought it was delicious!!! The texture was good, it was full of cream and butter and cheese (so not a healthy alternative by any means!), yummy!! So when I started hearing about a cauliflower pizza crust I knew I had to give it a shot!
I found the recipe originally over at SparkRecipes. I think it turned out pretty darn good. I wouldn’t replace my normal choices in pizza dough with it regularly but once in a while its a fun alternative!!
So….here we go :)
What you’ll need: (PS I doubled the original recipe!!)
- 2 cups raw, grated cauliflower
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- (As well as your choice of pizza sauce/toppings!)
1. Preheat oven to 450°
2. Grate cauliflower (I pulled the cauliflower apart then pulsed it in my magic bullet until it was a rice like consistancy)
2. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray (I use Pam)
3. In a medium bowl mix cauliflower, egg, mozzarella and spices.
4. Once well mixed press mixture evenly on greased cookie sheet.
5. Bake pizza crust for up to 20 minutes (if you dare, you may flip the crust over half way through).
6. When fully cooked remove from oven and add your toppings. (I was feeling Hawaiian pizza :))
7. Place pizza under broiler until cheese is melted.
8. Plate, serve and enjoy!!!
The taste of this crust was fantastic! The texture is nothing like regular pizza dough so be prepared for that! I was pleasantly surprised at how well it held together, I still ate most of the pizza with a fork, but I could have picked it up and ate with my hands if I wanted to ;)
I have since seen more recipes for cauliflower dough that have less cheese, I would try one of those next time around just to reduce the fat/calories and to see how well that option holds together!! Don’t get me wrong, this one was delicious and I don’t often limit my cheese intake but I’m curious to see what some of the other options turn out like!!
Have a great rest of the week ya’ll!! Come back soon…I’m planning a biscuits and gravy breakfast Sunday and will want to post it ASAP!!!!